Re:How will Coronavirus effect South African racing

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #783336 by Bob Brogan
The virus should be in full swing by the time the KZN season gets going.... Champions Day in Jozi (mass gatherings)

a month or two downtime would be a disaster for everyone, including ABC

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Beyond The Pale
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #783339 by Beyond The Pale
The race tracks are normally dead with more patrons and staff than actual punters at the majority of meetings , the winter season could be different but perhaps things might be back to normal or normalish.

Common cleaning practises should be encouraged in the interim .

And minimal mass hysteria .

:)

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #783345 by Bob Brogan
BTP this should not be taken lightly 1.5% death rate for those that catch it is huge

Listening to an "expert " today they are expecting this to be around for years

......................................................................................................................................

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #783350 by Muhtiman
.....from what I read and understand the virus requires low temperatures to be most effective in transmission and for now if contained correctly should not be like Europe and Northern China at the moment......however with our temperatures as we approach winter months up in Gauteng begin dropping it could be lethal if not contained......it would wipe out all those with underlying respiratory conditions and other health conditions like TB said to be in the 100's of thousands....:ohmy:

My idea of "help from above" is a sniper on the roof
and a higher power is a hell fire missile armed drone.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #783369 by mikesack
There are a few seniors who may have experienced World War 2 and what was the situation with blackouts and the like.
I was not around then but it would be good to hear what the experience was during that dark period in history.
From the Trade Wars between the Super Economies and disagreements etc. it would appear that WW3 is here, now, without a single shot having been fired by a soldier.😢😢😢

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #783371 by oscar
It will certainly effect it, sales, race meetings etc.

Might be a chance to reflect and make long delayed decisions for some

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #783378 by louisg
We dont have to be rocket scientists to declare that racing will be brought to its knees and may never recover.

Whilst attendance at the course will be the least of our worries, the other factors appear beyond out control, if for example, just one groom at a Training Centre in the communal hostel contracts the virus.

Based upon the 100 people at a gathering, it is already impossible to hold a race meeting.... unless the whole transport issue is revised. This alone means high extra costs.

I can only speak for Summerveld. Over here, we are making huge efforts in terms of quarantine facilities, restrictions on visitors etc etc. We have all, last week already, been meeting with our staff and informing them of the relevant procedures iro prevention and hygiene etc.

The truth is that the Country as a whole will battle to get past this situation. Most small businesses which were hanging in there, will now face bankruptcy, as will Trainers.

There is, again, the other group who believe that the virus cannot be contained and that it should he left to run its course. Either way, we are in deep deep trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garrick

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #783382 by Magi
My only comment is ...'If you are going to get the virus, you want to be one of the first. At a time when you will still get quality healthcare. Once the medical facilities are overrun.... you are basically on your own'

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #783391 by Bob Brogan
Gold Circle are planning to race behind close doors

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #783392 by Tigershark
They generally do....:)

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #783416 by mikesack
May have to forget about racing and start thinking about ....Rationing!!!
Have heard during WW2 there was rationing enforced in S A.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #783425 by Over the Air
South Africa had petrol rationing in the 70s.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783440 by Mac
Derby Day coming up, so too the Challenge, Computaform Sprint, Horse Chestnut, Empress Club, and there must be more. Oh dear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lot 226, 2016 NYS, Diamondveld, R1.5m"

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783446 by mr hawaii

Mac wrote: Derby Day coming up, so too the Challenge, Computaform Sprint, Horse Chestnut, Empress Club, and there must be more. Oh dear.

A potential Triple Tiara winner that could win without a spectator or owner trackside

THE MORE YOU STUDY FORM THE LUCKIER YOU GET

• Dave Scott
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783471 by Dave Scott
Reading the announcements, i am sure the owners can attend?

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783473 by Sylvester
allowing owners to attend race days.

how would that work?

assume 15 horses with 15 trainers/15 jockeys/15 grooms and now add 20 to 30 owners in the parade ring for a big race. now u have 3 -4 feature races on the day. guaranteed to exceed 100 people on track. extend that the owners would expect catering services in the pubs ,lounges and private boxes. i dont see how owners could be allowed on track for race days without Phumelela risking fines from government.

just my thoughts

Dave Scott wrote: Reading the announcements, i am sure the owners can attend?

The following user(s) said Thank You: mr hawaii

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783474 by Bob Brogan

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK
Attachments:

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783477 by mr hawaii
I just don't understand - I think in South Africa with transport being mostly taxis and trains there is way more chance of getting infected going to work (or to the racetrack using public transport) than going racing - More chance of getting infected placing a soccer bet in any of the bookmaker shops which are massively crowded - More chance of picking up a tin of food touched by someone with the virus when shopping - And I just wonder is the aim to isolate so much that the virus dies because it has no host to attack? ..

THE MORE YOU STUDY FORM THE LUCKIER YOU GET

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783478 by Muhtiman
....this could save us.....if Phum can carry on staging local racing and selling broadcasts and co-mingling to UK France and keep a solid revenue stream they may survive in the interim....:unsure:

My idea of "help from above" is a sniper on the roof
and a higher power is a hell fire missile armed drone.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #783481 by Mac

"Lot 226, 2016 NYS, Diamondveld, R1.5m"

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horse racing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge.

Learn More

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

April 2020
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25