The Breeding/Racing Relationship

• Garrick
  • Garrick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
2 weeks 5 hours ago - 2 weeks 2 hours ago #760190 by Garrick
Garrick created the topic: The Breeding/Racing Relationship
A number of commentators who clearly must have far greater insight into the workings of racing than I do have recently intimated that if the issues regarding the seamless export of horses to other jurisdictions were to be resolved then ‘alles sal reg kom’ in our racing. Or at the very least improve significantly.

I find this frankly difficult to understand. I throw this out not as a challenge to that theory but as someone who is genuinely mystified by it.

Let’s look at the status quo as I understand it :

The recent NYS was, to a large extent, propped up by ‘offshore money’; particularly at the top end of the market. But a large portion of that self-same market is merely reflecting the other realities of horse ownership; namely that stakes are completely out of synch with purchase and keep costs. So unless you enjoy subsidising the industry through ownership this activity is not going to appeal to you for very long.

There is little or nothing that prospective owners can do about keep costs as they are a direct and immediate function of modern day cost-of-living reality. But the market has responded quite naturally by simply contracting. Owners appear to have left the sport in some numbers and show little or no likelihood of returning. Furthermore average prices for yearlings have remained more or less static which is an immediate and natural market response to potential ROI. Effectively this means that they have shrunk in real terms once inflation is applied to the prices.

Take out the foreign money and the unhappy truth becomes even more apparent.

OK – so let’s pursue the theory that things would get better if we could export horses easily. Does it not follow that almost all the better bred prospects might then move offshore? So the breeders then get a better return on their investment. Fine. And that benefits local racing…….how? Do we not end up with even weaker fields and an even less appealing sport?

I see little or nothing about this development that is likely to boost turnover; the real driver of success and reward for all industry players. I simply see us mirroring the New Zealand model where they have a strong breeding industry (or did when last I looked) and a pretty tepid racing industry.

I must be missing something. Perhaps somebody smarter than me could set me straight.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 hours ago by Garrick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing, gg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #760196 by jim
jim replied the topic: The Breeding/Racing Relationship
garrick you have it absolutely spot on. what you are highlighting is the disconnect between breeding and racing values not only in new zealand but all over the world with the possible exception of australia. i havent done the numbers recently but de kock said the other day that owners operate at a net loss of R 600 m pa. that indicates to me purchases at sales and training fees exceed stakes by 600 m . crazy. talk about the sport of kings. see you next week too.

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #760203 by Bob Brogan
Bob Brogan replied the topic: The Breeding/Racing Relationship
Do you think our Sires will compete overseas ?

Considering most top overseas sires the daddy’s of our new sires

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

• Mac
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #760205 by Mac
Mac replied the topic: Re:The Breeding/Racing Relationship
The problem to the onerous export problem will never be resolved. There are many more priorities to address from both sides of the oceans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lot 226, 2016 NYS, Diamondveld, R1.5m"

• Bob Brogan
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #760206 by Bob Brogan
Bob Brogan replied the topic: Re:The Breeding/Racing Relationship
And ps

It’s called African Horse “Sickness “ for a reason

......................................................................................................................................

www.africanbettingclan.com

@SAFBETTINGCLAN

FACEBOOK

• Muhtiman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 week 6 days ago #760238 by Muhtiman
Muhtiman replied the topic: The Breeding/Racing Relationship

Bob Brogan wrote: Do you think our Sires will compete overseas ?

Considering most top overseas sires the daddy’s of our new sires

.....hardly ever as our homebred sires only are only fully exposed after many seasons before they are really noticed.....:unsure:
Captain Al may have had some offers but none taken seriously.... but a good racing colt with sire potential may attract some interest soon....the only re-export of a very decent sire was the un-raced Kitalpha that stood in Zim was sold for 10 times his initial purchase price.....I believe that more recently Trippi was up on offer but no takers as his asking price was not that attractive....Daylami was said to be re-exported as a sire for show jumpers....:dry: .

My idea of "help from above" is a sniper on the roof
and a higher power is a hell fire missile armed drone.

• Mac
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 week 6 days ago #760242 by Mac
Mac replied the topic: Re:The Breeding/Racing Relationship
I understand Jet Master had several overseas offers but the Devine’s said “sutt”. Some things in life are not negotiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lot 226, 2016 NYS, Diamondveld, R1.5m"

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horseracing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge. Everyone who joins the CLAN, can discuss a multitude of sports events with a view to increasing the knowledge-base of all interested parties. Horse Racing is by far the most represented sport and we welcome the views of the many owners, trainers, punters and all racing stakeholders, all of whom post their contributions on our discussion forums. Members glean what they want to and discuss selections for the day and the general well being of the sport.

Get in touch

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

May 2019
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25