Why are breeders more important than owners?

• Over the Air
  • Over the Air's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 months 17 hours ago #768750 by Over the Air
Over the Air created the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
With the news that a stakes reduction has been agreed upon, you have to ask why the news is being delayed? The only logical answer is this is being done to try and protect the prices at the sale tomorrow. If this is indeed the case, you have to ask why the RA who are apparently there to protect owners, are saying nothing about this situation?

This can most definitely be equated to insider trading and it is morally wrong. Why should owners be expected to prop up this industry time after time while those in positions of power abuse their positions?

Expect a record entry into the end of year Ready to Run sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• the hawk
  • Away
More
4 months 12 hours ago #768763 by the hawk
the hawk replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
The truth of the matter is that Breeders are our biggest Owners - Gaynor Rupert; Mary Slack; Jessica Slack; Susan Rowett; Sabine Plattner; Wayne Kieswetter (Ridgemont); Mr Jacobs (Maine Chance); etc form the back bone of our industry, whether as breeders or owners. Breeders are the corner stone of the industry and right now are integral to the salvation of the Sport of Horseracing in South Africa. Hopefully any stakes reduction will be creatively introduced rather than just across the board! ie perhaps lesser stakes midweek and higher stakes weekends - do not denude the incentives for owners by simply reducing stakes across the board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott

More
4 months 4 hours ago #768767 by mikesack
mikesack replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
I think we can include the omission of the Sheikhs of Dubai as owner/breeders also? Remember the horse Soft Falling Rain ending up somewhere in S.a. as a stallion and it may not take too much arm -twisting for Hawwaam and Barahin to join the stallion ranks too, Sheikh Hamdan was associated with
Summerhill Stud a while back too.

More
4 months 3 hours ago #768772 by Dave Scott
Dave Scott replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
A damning light has been shone on the buying and selling of bloodstock in Britain with a BHA report calling for changes to an industry that is barely regulated, tarnished by unscrupulous individuals and populated by some players who are engaged in improper practices that are potentially criminal.

Full article on Racing Post

www.racingpost.com/news/bloodstock-revie...ing-practices/395240

• Over the Air
  • Over the Air's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 months 3 hours ago - 4 months 3 hours ago #768773 by Over the Air
Over the Air replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
@ the hawk - the truth of the matter is all the breeders that you list are not short of a few pound and the reduction in stakes will not affect them one iota. You miss my point entirely as they are represented by the TBA and with all due respect will race their best progeny and also those that do not reach the reserve prices. My point remains - why has the already agreed to reduction in stakes not been announced by Larry to his members?

Some of the studs that you list have stallions with a covering fee of R250 000 and the ominously announced "Private" among their big hitters. I would be more concerned about the smaller guys who will struggle in this economic climate. It's very similar among the owners ranks, the big guys will continue, the smaller guys have less and less opportunities. Let's be fair, paint the entire picture and allow the strugglers to make informed decisions even if that decision sees them leaving the game.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 hours ago by Over the Air.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing

More
4 months 2 hours ago - 4 months 2 hours ago #768782 by Urbanite
Urbanite replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
Thankfully, i heard this stakes reduction rumour in the nick of time.
Despite all the shit flying around in horseracing, the sucker that i am was looking at two lots at the N2YS. This latest abuse of owners was the final straw. Will not be renewing my colours next year.
Having said that, i believe that this reduction of stakes contravenes the Stakes agreement.
But what the hell, when has that ever stopped these thieves ?
Last Edit: 4 months 2 hours ago by Urbanite. Reason: add letter

More
4 months 41 minutes ago #768784 by jim
jim replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
have to agree with ota. the big breeders dont even feel an impact on their petty cash boxes at the sales. the run of the mill owners are the real stalwarts of racing. they actually are more important than the breeders and their interests should come first.anjy changes in stakes should definitely be made public soonest. not that i will be missed but my buyers card will not see the light of day at this sale.

More
4 months 22 minutes ago #768786 by ElvisisKing
ElvisisKing replied the topic: Why are breeders more important than owners?
I thought the whole objective of the R.A. was for the BENEFIT of it's owners / members.

IF it is correct that the R.A. have FAILED TO COMMUNICATE with it's members then - their silence on this matter is very worrying.

This is precisely why i have NOT been a member of the R.A. for the last 6 or 7 years. ( what do they do for their members ? ) I kid u not- what do they do ?

• Mac
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #768789 by Mac
Mac replied the topic: Re:Why are breeders more important than owners?
Some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves to think that the big breeders are insensitive about the stakes reduction. I mean really? Shame on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lot 226, 2016 NYS, Diamondveld, R1.5m"

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

About A.B.C

African Betting Clan is established for the upliftment of the sports punter, who enjoys a bet on horseracing, football and other sports, enabling them to voice their views and opinions on all aspects of the sport of their choice, free of charge. Everyone who joins the CLAN, can discuss a multitude of sports events with a view to increasing the knowledge-base of all interested parties. Horse Racing is by far the most represented sport and we welcome the views of the many owners, trainers, punters and all racing stakeholders, all of whom post their contributions on our discussion forums. Members glean what they want to and discuss selections for the day and the general well being of the sport.

Get in touch

Contact Details

Main Office (HQ)
Box 40390 moreleta park, Pretoria 0044
+27 827854357

Events

December 2019
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28